Labels

Sunday, September 11, 2011

STROKE Part 2 - Spaz Attack


Sitting on the bed in the ER, I learned a bit about a few pleasures to come (mainly spasms). If you have ever suffered from restless leg syndrome then you might have a slight bit of insight.

You have a strong urge to move your legs which you may not be able to resist. The need to move is often accompanied by uncomfortable sensations. Some words used to describe these sensations include: creeping, itching, pulling, creepy-crawly, tugging, or gnawing.
Your RLS symptoms start or become worse when you are resting. The longer you are resting, the greater the chance the symptoms will occur and the more severe they are likely to be.
Your RLS symptoms get better when you move your legs. The relief can be complete or only partial but generally starts very soon after starting an activity. Relief persists as long as the motor activity continues.
Your RLS symptoms are worse in the evening especially when you are lying down. Activities that bother you at night do not bother you during the day.

Well imagine a "painful" RBS (Restless BODY Syndrome) accompanied by excruciating leg, thigh, hip, hand & arm CRAMPS, It started as I sat there in that busy hospital ALONE because the friend who delayed calling 911 heard the doctor say "had I come right in I probably wouldn’t be is this condition" felt very guilty and made a quick exit not thinking about the fact leaving me all by myself at a moment like this would be even more cruel in my eyes than not calling 911.

Anyhow I sat in the bed feeling like I needed someone to help me stand so I could make the cramps and RLS go away. I tried to call out to passing nurses and staff but couldn’t make my voice loud enough to get their attention. After trying for what seemed forever, I decided I would scoot myself to the edge of the bed and carefully slide off and stand using my good leg and arm to support myself.
SURPRISE! it didn’t go as smooth as planned and I scooted myself straight down into the floor with all my dead weight...slamming my hip, arm, shoulder and head, on my GOOD side against the door, a chair and floor before coming to a painful stop. I lay in the floor crying not just because I was now a bruised mess but because my ego was horribly bruised too. I had always been very independent and in control, is THIS what I had to look forward to?
I finally pulled myself into an upright position and leaned against the wall trying to flag someone ANYONE down to help me get back into bed. Everyone was dashing up and down the halls trying to keep up with the demand and nobody looked in my room. FINALLY I was able to flag a girl down after 15 minutes of sitting on that cold floor half naked and very bruised. 
A few people came and helped me back into the bed and gave me something for the cramping and the pain of trying to think I knew what was best for me with my head strong and stubborn way.
I sat in the ER most of the night (cramping, crawling, restless, itching, and in gnawing pain) waiting until they were able to find a room for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment